“MONEY ANSWERS EVERYTHING!” (Ecc. 10:18-11:1)
2011 Stewardship Series, Message #2
FBC Earlville 1-16-11 10:30 AM Rev. Jeremy B. Stopford, Pastor
* Today’s “special”: “Changing Light Bulbs” How many Christians does it take to change a light bulb?
Charismatic : Only 1 Hands are already in the air.
Pentecostal : 10 One to change the bulb, and nine to pray against the spirit of darkness.
Presbyterians : None Lights will go on and off at predestined times.
Baptists : At least 15. One to change the light bulb, and three committees to approve the change and decide who brings the potato salad and fried chicken.
Methodists : Undetermined Whether your light is bright, dull, or completely out, you are loved. You can be a light bulb, turnip bulb, or tulip bulb. Bring a bulb of your choice to the Sunday lighting service and a covered dish to pass.
Nazarene : 6 One woman to replace the bulb while five men review church lighting policy.
Lutherans : None Lutherans don’t believe in change.
Amish : What’s a light bulb?
* You look at the sermon title and think, “Wait a minute! Last week’s message was, ‘God doesn’t need our money’; and today’s is ‘money answers everything!’ Does the Bible agree on both subjects?”. .
* Psalm 50:1-15 show that God does not need our money, for He owns it all!
* We learned that God needs our surrender to His Lordship, even money!
* Note 1:1,2. Def. #1: a walk by our 3-mirrored dresser
Def. # 2: “ ‘Vanity,’ in Ecclesiastes, and usually in Scripture, means, not foolish pride, but the emptiness in final result of all life apart from God. It is to be born, to toil, to suffer, to experience some transitory joy, which is as nothing in view of eternity, to leave it all, and to die.”CI Scofield Ecc. is a study in life – even money – without God.
Let’s see what conclusions Solomon, the wisest man ever, makes! Prayer
I. THE EMPTINESS OF ROUTINE (1:3, 8)
* Illus.: Ma Taylor
2. THE EMPTINESS OF THE AMERICAN DREAM (2:1,9-11)
3. THE EMPTINESS OF LIFE (2:16-21)
* Illus.: “source of all our quest for knowledge” (High School motto!)
* Illus.: “the experiment will be ended and each one of us will be dissolved into nothingness, like crystals down a drainpipe.” (H.G. Wells)
* The search for substance (3:11-13), which search ends – and begins – at Calvary!
4. THE EMPTINESS OF RICHES (4:7,8)
* The foundation of wisdom (5:10-17)
* Illus.: taking a suitcase to heaven
* 10:18-19 Heb.: dependence on money
* Illus.: “the more money, the more important, the more powerful you are”
CONCLUSION MAKE IT PERSONAL !!!:
#1 The joy of faith mixed with diligence! The opposite of “vanity”! (11:1)
#2 The joy of remembering God (12:1)
#3 The joy of true pleasure (Isa. 53:10; Mark 8:35)
Close in prayer