“THE CANONICITY-WHOA!-OF THE BIBLE” (Matt. 4) “Word of God #5”
FBC Earlville 3-13-11 10:30 AM Rev. Jeremy B. Stopford, Pastor
* Today’s “special”: “The Irishman” Jerry Furner, almost 100 year old patriarch of one side of the Furner family, shared this with me the other day. “Did you hear about the Irishman who married the little Amish girl? He drove her buggy!”
In previous messages, we have learned that God uses creation to point to His being a Master Designer, Who invites us to read His Book to learn of the Cross. We also learned about how the inspiration of the Bible points to God’s ability to use His book to change our lives eternally and daily.
Today we will learn an old but good word – “canonicity”. It does NOT mean the ability to shoot off a canon! But it does point to the completeness of the Scriptures as we have them, and thus worthy of our trust. Let’s see how! * Prayer
1. THE PRIORITY OF THE SCRIPTURES (Matt. 4:1-11)
* Many use this text as a foundation for their Lenten fasts
* The text points to Jesus’ trust in the Scriptures alone
* The text points to the enemy’s realization of the power of the Bible!
* The text points to the Bible’s priority of the Lordship of Christ!
2. THE PROOF OF THE SCRIPTURES
* Note italicized verses throughout the Bible, as in Matt. 1:23
* Note the Bible often clarifies itself (cp. Ps. 2:1 with Acts 4:25)
* Note the Bible says it is for our hope! (Romans 15:4)
* Note the Bible belongs to us! (Deut. 29:29)
* Note the Bible is a revealer of our heart (Deut. 31:24-28)
3. THE PERFECTION OF THE SCRIPTURES
a. See Deut. 4:2; 12:32 – the Law points to its completeness
b. See Prov. 30:5,6 – the wisest people on earth point to its completeness
c. See Ecc. 3:11,14 – the eternal hunger is met through the eternal Book
d. See Rev. 22:18,19 – a curse to those who deny its completeness (the cults, etc.)
CONCLUSION MAKE IT PERSONAL !!!
The Jews, the apostles and the early church, the early church fathers, together recognized the completion of 66 books: 39 OT and 27 NT
One final argument: the Prophecies of Scriptures
* Ps. 22 which points to the cross, was written thousands of years BEFORE the Romans invented crucifixion
* Isa. 53 “For He was wounded for our transgressions” – the truth of the Savior taking upon my sin was written thousands of years before the cross
So… do you believe the Bible is the Word of God?
If so, why not trust for eternity the Christ of the Bible?
And why not be encouraged to continue daily in His Word?
The benefits are out of this world!
Close in prayer