EVANGELISM SEMINAR SERIES – MAY 29, 2011 10:30 AM
First Baptist Church, Earlville, NY Rev. Jeremy B. Stopford, Pastor
MESSAGE #2 “Well I Declare” (1 John 1:1-6)
* Today’s Special: “Artist’s Canvas”
I used to work in an art supply store. We sold artists’ canvas by the yard, and you could get it in either of two widths: 36 inches or 48 inches.
Customer: “Can you please cut some canvas for me?”
Me: “Certainly, what width?”
Customer: (confused and slightly annoyed) “Uh, Scissors?”
* “Who am I?” – a good song; a good slogan – as it reminds us personally where we would be if God hadn’t shown us His love at the cross.
* So… the #1 need of the church is _____
Suggested Answer # 1: get more people to come to church; OR
Suggested Answer # 2: take Jesus to more people outside the church
SO… what do we declare? PRAYER
I. WE DECLARE A PERSON (1 John 1:1,2)
“Evangelism”: Def. # 1: “one beggar telling another beggar where there’s bread”; Def. # 2: “the declaration of God’s good news to the lost with a view to winning them to Jesus Christ”
NOTE WELL: evangelism is NOT the effect produced (salvation) BUT is simply the declaration. All God asks of us is to declare His love. HE does the rest: He changes the heart!
Illus.: heritage of Gary Anderson, President of Baptist Mid-Missions
II. WE DECLARE A PROOF (1 John 1:3,4)
* “Fellowship” = “2 fellows in a ship”?
* Fellowship is NOT relationship – relationship is what began at the cross
* “Fellowship” means to share Jesus together, a PROOF that God has brought you into a relationship with Him!
* See Acts 2:42ff These proved their fellowship!
* The result is (1 John 1:4) JOY!
III. WE DECLARE A PRINCIPLE (1 John 1:5)
* The principle is: “God is light and in Him is no darkness”
* Declare it by our word and by our life!
* What happens if we don’t declare by our life that God is light? Look at v. 6: we walk in darkness!
* Illus.: Stedman “’darkness’ is not ‘sinning’; it is ‘the absence of light’; to live as if there is no light in you.’”
* How can we do that? How can we “turn off the light”? Suggestions (but not necessarily your own): church becomes ritualistic, to the point of your not coming; don’t see Jesus daily; don’t walk in Scriptures; don’t examine yourself to see if you are walking in the truth.
* Our lives are to declare: “God is light and in Him is no darkness!”
Jesus as the Evangelist! John 11:25 Using our outline: He declares HIMSELF (“I am the resurrection and the life”)! He declares PROOF (His resurrection)! He declares a PRINCIPLE (“do you believe this?” – seeks a personal acknowledgement of truth)!
Look at the fruit! “I believe that You are the Christ!”
CLOSE IN PRAYER