“FOLLOW ME” SERIES – #6
“FOLLOWERS FINDING FOLLOWERS” (John 1:35-51)
FBC Earlville 10-9-11 10:30 AM Rev. J.B. Stopford, Pastor
INTRODUCTION Today’s “Special”: “A Letter Funny”
A wholesaler from up North sent a letter to the postmaster of a small Midwestern town. He asked for the name of an honest lawyer who would take a collection case against a local debtor who had refused to pay for a shipment of the wholesaler’s goods. He got this reply:
Dear Sir: I am the postmaster of this village and received your letter. I am also an honest lawyer and ordinarily would be pleased to accept a case against a local debtor. In this case, however, I also happen to be the person you sold those crummy goods to. I received your demand to pay and refused to honor it. I am also the banker you sent the draft to draw on the merchant, and I sent that back with a note stating that the merchant had refused to pay. If I were not, for the time being, substituting for the pastor of our local church, I would tell you fully just exactly what I thought of your claim.
Last Monday afternoon, I had lunch at a restaurant in Norwich with a family whose loved one’s burial I had just officiated. The widow suggested the bacon burger on pita bread. And she had the same. And it was GOOD! In fact, it was DELICIOUS!
We were born with a hunger for God, and when we followed Him at the cross, we found that hunger met – He is GOOD! He is DELICIOUS! He is completely SATISFYING!
Our text today is like a visit to a restaurant – hungry people having their hunger met. Do you know anyone who is hungry for God?
1. FOLLOW THE ONE WHO IS THE FULFILLMENT OF PROPHECY
- It had been 400 years since Malachi prophesied that Elijah would be the forerunner to the Messiah, and John the Baptist was that forerunner. (Check out Malachi 4)
- Look at John’s insightful view of Jesus (v. 36)
- After hearing John the Baptist’s word, the two disciples follow Jesus.
- John was not heartbroken – he was thrilled!
- Can you think of someone who you can share about Jesus?
2. FOLLOW THE ONE WHO ALONE REALLY SEES (v. 38)
- His response to their question literally means, “come and see for yourself”. And Matt. 8:20 would tell them, “I have no home.”
- Illus.: Lindy & Carol Drake in wilds of Brazil- they are veteran missionaries that we have been blessed to have here. They have left all to follow Jesus with New Tribes Missions into the jungles of Colombia and Brazil so that the Guanano Tribe can follow Jesus; Stephen & Cathy Marlett have left all to follow Jesus with Wycliffe Bible Translators to serve in deserts of Mexico. They “have no home of their own” so that members of the Seri Tribe can hear the gospel in their own language. Why do the Drakes and the Marletts go? Because that’s where Jesus is!
- Following involves every area of our lives belonging to Him!
3. FOLLOW THE ONE WHO ALONE IS WORTHY TO INVITE OTHERS TO FOLLOW (v. 40ff)
* Andrew invites Peter (vs. 40-42): “He’s the Messiah!”
* Philip invites Nathaniel (vs. 43-51): “He’s omniscient!” See Ps. 139
Andrew and Philip heard truth that caused them to see that Jesus alone is worthy of their trust, that Jesus alone is worthy to follow; and that Jesus alone is worthy to encourage others to come to Him!
Illus.: those who used to go to church have a hunger you can meet!
Those you know who are without Jesus have a hunger you can meet – have them follow Jesus!
CLOSE IN PRAYER