“FOR A TIME, TIMES, AND HALF A TIME” (Daniel 12)
FBC Earlville 9-9-12 10:30 AM Rev. J.B. Stopford, Pastor
INTRODUCTION Today’s “Special”: “A Farming Funny” :
A farmer was milking his cow.
He was just starting to get a good rhythm going when a bug flew into the barn and started circling his head. Suddenly, the bug flew into the cow’s ear. The farmer didn’t think much about it, until the bug squirted out into his bucket.
It went in one ear and out the udder.
True or False: “ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE AND MODERN SCIENCE, the world as we know it will end December 21”. How do you know? PRAYER
#1 GOD KNOWS THE FUTURE
What is there in this passage that other Scriptures will help to give us understanding?
- “a time of trouble” (v. 1) (Jer. 30:7-9 and Matt. 24:15,21 – the time of Jacob’s trouble will end with the Lord Jesus on David’s throne in Jerusalem – a very FUTURE event!)
Illus.: a political party’s need to add “Jerusalem” to its platform. Point: if God and Jerusalem – which city is God’s passion – is in a political party’s platform simply to get the Jewish and Christian vote, is that a sad commentary on our country and the hopeless direction it is heading?
- “awaking” (vs. 2-3) the future judgment upon Israel and its enemies (see Matt. 25:31-46 where the whole world is judged according to its historical treatment of Israel)
- “shut up the words…seal the book” (v. 4) – the Bible is complete, and any addition is heretical and worthy of the label of “cult” (Rev. 22:18 is a parallel passage). Daniel could be confident that other Biblical books would be written that would aid in the study of God’s heart!
- “many shall run to and fro…knowledge shall increase” (v. 4) – Solomon told of the pattern of man in chasing after anything/anyone but the Lord, and the end was emptiness of heart (see throughout Ecclesiastes)
- “time, times, and half a time” (v. 7) – Daniel 7:25 and Rev. 12:2,6,14 as well as Rev. 11:2 and 13:5 (“42 months”) show the historical significance of this time frame toward Israel – a 3 1/2 year time frame which will end in our Savior on David’s Throne as King of Israel!
- 1290 days…1335 days (vs. 11,12) – a definitive time frame for the persecution of Israel, and the setting up of satanic worship, followed by the millennial kingdom of our Savior (Rev. 20:6,7)
#2 GOD KNOWS YOUR FUTURE “go your way” (vs. , 13)
Daniel was advised to do 2 things with his prophecy:
#1 Go his way, because the future was in God’s hands
#2 Rest! (Matt. 11:28) Trust the future and its unknown into the Lord’s care! Rest – both in trust and in ‘death in Christ’ that He alone is worthy!
#3 Daniel had a a sure inheritance with the Lord – as do we (John 14:1ff)
Where lies your trust? In the risen Savior? In His Word? Even if we don’t understand it, He promises to reveal His truths “line upon line” (Isa. 28::10,13)