“WHEN WILL THE WORLD COME TO AN END?” (“Daniel” in Matthew 24)
FBC Earlville 9-23-12 10:30 AM Rev. J.B. Stopford, Pastor
INTRODUCTION Today’s “Special”: “The Pastor’s Visit”
The preacher was visiting a 99 year old shut-in, having a wonderful visit. As they were talking and visiting, he saw the candy dish of peanuts next to the chair. So throughout the visit he would reach over and eat one. By the end of their visit, he had finished the entire bowl! He apologized and said, “Miss Mamie, I’m so sorry. I have eaten your entire bowl of peanuts.” She said, “that’s ok, preacher. I’ve already gummed the chocolate off of them.”
In the NKJV, the disciples ask the Savior, “what will be the sign of the end of the age?”, or, as God’s Word Version says, “when will the world come to an end?”. I’ve already had comments on the sermon title as posted on the church’s marquis. How would you answer that question? And how should we then live if we know the answer to that question? PRAYER
#1 WHEN JESUS IS CROWNED (24:1; see also 23:37-39)
- The “then” of v. 1 refers back to the “when” of 23:37-39
- Jesus has an eternal burden for Israel, and for Jerusalem, her capital
(do we?) (for encouragement, read Psalms 122; 125; 128; 130-131)
- See Psalm 118:26-27 refers not only to the CROSS but to the CROWN
#2 WHEN TRUST IS TURNED AROUND (v. 2)
- The disciples were proud to show off the temple and its buildings to Jesus
- Illus.: tour given to stained glass lady, who “oohed” and “ahhd” our windows
- Jesus said all they cherished would be thrown down (70 AD)
- So…is your JOY in the building, or in the SAVIOR?
#3 WHEN SORROWS BEGIN (v. 8)
- “Many will come in My Name” (v. 5; vs. 23-26) a world-wide anti-Christ spirit (see also 1 John 4:1-4)
- “Wars and rumors of wars” (vs. 6-8) – the spreading of Islam
- “Then they will deliver you” (v. 9) the “you” is ISRAEL. Israel will be the heart of the world-wide conflict. It is now! See the promises concerning Abe’s son, Ishmael (Gen. 16:11-12; 17:15-21)
- The anti-Christ will be the center of worship (vs. 15-24; Dan. 11:31; 12:11)
Point: It DOES matter who/what you worship
#1 The worship of the Son (vs. 29-30) ALONE!
See Zechariah 12:10 Who do YOU worship?
#2 The timing of the world ALL OVER!
Illus.: Cal Thomas “everything is right on schedule”
CAL THOMAS COMMENTARY SEPTEMBER 18, 2012
I WANT YOU TO THINK ABOUT SOMETHING: CONSIDER THE WORLD AFLAME, THE RIOTS, KILLINGS, TERRORIST ATTACKS, RELIGIOUS TENSION, DICTATORSHIPS, FAMINE, HUNGER, HOMELESSNESS, DEBT, GREED, PEOPLE LIVING TOGETHER, HAVING BABIES OUT OF WEDLOCK, THE RISE IN HOMOSEXUAL APPROVAL AND SAME-SEX MARRIAGE, DETERIORATING ENTERTAINMENT, COARSE LANGUAGE, DRUGS AND ALCOHOL ABUSE. THE LIST GOES ON.
NOW CONSIDER WHAT PAUL SAID TO TIMOTHY ABOUT THE END TIMES: “PEOPLE WILL BE LOVERS OF THEMSELVES, LOVERS OF MONEY, BOASTFUL, PROUD, ABUSIVE, DISOBEDIENT TO PARENTS, UNGRATEFUL, UNHOLY, WITHOUT LOVE, UNFORGIVING, SLANDEROUS, WITHOUT SELF-CONTROL. BRUTAL. NOT LOVERS OF THE GOOD. TREACHEROUS, RASH, CONCEITED, LOVERS OF PLEASURE RATHER THAN LOVERS OF GOD – HAVING A FORM OF GODLINESS BUT DENYING ITS POWER.”
WHEN I READ THESE WORDS I CONCLUDE: EVERYTHING IS RIGHT ON SCHEDULE. I’M CAL THOMAS IN WASHINGTON.
1 Thess. 4 says that Jesus will come for His church FIRST, and then the events of Matthew 24 will take place. If He were to come today, would you be ready? Only those whose trust is in Jesus and His cross alone are ready. Are you? “Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Romans 10:13)
CLOSE IN PRAYER