“THE OBSERVATION OF THE PILLARS” (Mark 1:29)
FBC Earlville 11-04-12 10:30 AM Rev. J.B. Stopford, Pastor
INTRODUCTION Today’s “Special”: “A Cut Above the Rest”:
A logging company needed to hire another lumberjack, and the first guy to apply was a short little skinny fellow, who was laughed at by the manager and told to leave.
“Just give me a chance,” the little guy pleaded.
“Okay,” the manager replied, “Grab your axe and cut down that cedar over there.”
Two minutes later he was back at the manager’s office, “Tree’s cut. Do I get the job?”
“I don’t believe it, that is so much faster than even my best lumberjack could have done it. Where did you learn to use an axe like that?” the manager inquired.
“Sahara Forest,” the little guy replied.
“Don’t you mean the Sahara Desert,” the manager corrected him.
“Sure, that’s what they call it now.”
Last week we began a series about the ministry of Peter, James, and John – the 3 who were the closest to our Savior. They heard 3 simple words, “Come, follow Me” – and they did and never looked back. Today we look at the making of a disciple – and how is one made? By observing the Master!
#1 THEY OBSERVE JESUS’ LORDSHIP (vs. 1-15)
- His baptism (vs. 1-11) – the Father is well pleased with obedience
- His temptation (vs. 12-13) – the Spirit is well pleased with leading
- His message (vs. 14-15) – the Word is always timely
#2 THEY OBSERVE JESUS’ SERVANTHOOD (vs. 16-45)
Mark is the gospel writer who emphasizes Jesus’ serving. So it shouldn’t surprise us that those who would one day be called “The Pillars” should be observing Jesus and how He served.
- They heard him firsthand (vs. 16-20) – is Jesus personal with you?
- They heard His authoritative doctrine (vs. 21-28) – is Jesus your authority?
- They saw His compassion (vs. 29-31) – do you bear His compassion?
- They saw His methods – mainly preaching, preceded by prayer (vs. 32-39) – do you share His word?
- They saw His opportunity (vs. 40-45) – are you walking where Jesus is working?
Illus.: Jim’s going to college!
We have 3 options as a result of this message:
Option #1: when He says, “come follow Me”, we follow!
Option #2: when He says, “come work with Me”, we work where He’s working!
Option #3: When He says, “come follow, come work”, we say “I’m too busy, I’ll sit back and watch”.
Which responses most please our Savior?
Which responses most typifies you?
CLOSE IN PRAYER