“LIKE MOM, LIKE ME” (“PARTAKE” SERIES #2)
THE PARTAKING OF THE SIN NATURE
FBC Earlville 5-12-13 10:30 AM Rev. J.B. Stopford, Pastor
INTRODUCTION Today’s Special – “Why God Gave You Your Mother”
Brilliant answers given by 2nd grade school children to the following questions:
Why did God give you your mother and not some other mom?
1. We’re related
2. God knew she likes me a lot more than other people’s moms like me.
What kind of little girl was your mom?
1. My mom has always been my mom and none of that other stuff.
2. I don’t know because I wasn’t there, but my guess would be pretty bossy.
3. They say she used to be nice.
Why did your mom marry your dad?
1. My dad makes the best spaghetti in the world. And my mom eats a lot.
2. She got too old to do anything else with him.
3. My grandma says that mom didn’t have her thinking cap on.
What would it take to make your mom perfect?
1. On the inside she’s already perfect. Outside, I think some kind of plastic surgery.
2. Diet. You know her hair. I’d diet, maybe blue.
Last week we were introduced to a word used in our KJV Bible for only around 30 times. It is often translated in other versions “share, participate.” The word is “partake” and its variations. We learned that it means “to share communion”, “to be one with someone or something”. In its richest form in our relationship with God, it means “to abide with God, to commune with Him.” Literally, it means “to partner” – to be one with God’s purposes, plans, provisions, and character. Last week we learned of the abiding – the partaking – of God’s grace. Today we are going to learn about the things we partake in because those before us also partook in them. Ready? Here we go. PRAYER
#1 I PARTAKE IN REBELLION RATHER THAN WORSHIP (Psa. 50:18)
* Illus.: Gift of Mom’s album. While we were at my brother’s house in S.C., we were given a box – a BIG box – filled with scrapbooks and pictures – of my mother! Her birth announcement (103 years ago!). Her college grades. Wow. Mom gave me at least 2 things: an appreciation for family history, and a love of COLOR (I AM wearing an orange tie, aren’t I?).
* What has God given? vs. 1-2 (His presence and glory – Illus. Cadillac Mtn in Acadia Nat’l Park, Maine, has a BEAUTIFUL, OVERWHELMING view of sunsets and sunrises! [and yet the government in its wisdom has it CLOSED this May due to gov’t costs!]; v. 9-11 (all animals are His); v. 12 (all the world is His!); zero in on v. 5 – a covenant by sacrifice. Illus.: the cross (Acts 4:11-12) is the crossroads between worship and idolatry/emptiness.
What is the other choice? What has been handed down to us? (vs. 16-20)
Note use of “partake” “throw in your lot” (NIV v. 18)- read DEFINITIONS
* READ POINT TITLE
APPLICATION: Are you at the crossroads of worship OR idolatry?
#2 I PARTAKE IN ERROR RATHER THAN CHRIST (2 John 1:11)
What has God given? Note 2 John addressed to a MOTHER. Note vs. 2-4, esp. v.
4; a love for one another, v. 5; a discernment about error (opposition to truth, God’s Word), vs. 6-7.
How can I know truth from error? At least 3 ways: Holy Spirit (John 14:26), Truth of God’s Word (John 17:17), People of God in God’s House (Heb. 10:25)
* What is the other choice? ERROR – direct opposition to God’s Word, vs. 9-11
* Note use of “partake”: “shares in wicked deeds” (v. 11) [see the DEFINITIONS once again]
* READ POINT TITLE
* APPLICATION: Are you at the crossroads of truth OR error?
#3 I PARTAKE WITH THE CROWD RATHER THAN JESUS (Rev. 18:4)
* Illus.: A tough question – who can you name as your friends, your true friends, who you can call at a moment’s notice?
* What has God given? v. 1 angelic oversight (Heb. 1:14 “ministering spirits”) intended to draw us, NOT to angels, but to Jesus!
* What is the other choice? THE CROWD (v. 4) – on a GRAND scale this is future false worship magnified!
* Use of “partake” (v. 4): “share” [one more time, look at the DEFINITIONS]
* READ POINT TITLE
* APPLICATION: are we (the church) known for our stand for truth in love? Are we as families and individuals known for truth or for “straddling the fence”?
CONCLUSION Let’s go back to our “Call to Worship” verses: 2 Tim. 3:4-7 Who made the difference? GRANDMA AND MA!
Illus.: I learned this past week of the closing of Sunday church services in Beaver Meadow. Why? Many reasons, but I suppose one family at a time said “worship” on Sunday in Beaver Meadow is not important.
Who is making the difference in your home? Do you HOPE that your children and grandchildren live for God?
Are you a purposeful influence for the Lord?
CLOSE IN PRAYER