“THEREFORE #6 & #7: “MAKE EVERY EFFORT !” (2 Pet. 1:10; 3:17)
1-2 Peter Series Message #11 – Final Message in Series
FBC Earlville 3-29-15 10:30 AM Rev. J.B. Stopford, Pastor
INTRODUCTION Today’s Special: “A Golf Ball Funny”
“I have the greatest golf ball in the world,” said Bob as he put his ball on the tee. “It can’t be lost.”
Charlie, his playing partner, was surprised. “How is that possible?” he asked.
Excitedly, Bob told Charlie about his remarkable dimpled friend. “If you hit it into the sand, it beeps. If you hit it into the water, it floats. If you want to play golf at night, it glows.”
“That sounds like a great ball,” said Charlie. “Where did you get it?”
“Oh, I found it in the woods,” Bob responded.
These past weeks, we’ve learned much about the real Peter, a man who first trusted in Jesus when he was invited by his brother Andrew to “come and see” Jesus. We’ve looked at the “therefore”’’s which nicely divide 1 Peter. In today’s closing message to the series, we’ll look at the last 2, both found in 2 Peter. And through them, Peter is teaching us some revolutionary ways to look at church! And at life itself! PRAYER
# 1 MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO EXERCISE ! (2 Pet. 1:5ff)
The “therefore” of v. 10 goes back to what Peter is instructing in vs.3ff.
Note the foundation, vs. 3-4, God working in our hearts (“participating/partnering with the divine nature”)
* “To add to your faith” = “to exercise”!
* So if GOD asked you to describe what things you should encourage others to do to add to/exercise their faith, what would you say: be a faithful church goer? pay (more!) into the offering? come to church or we won’t care about you?
* NO – He says Exercise! Develop your faith! Don’t become spiritual slouches!
(1) goodness [virtue; moral excellence; Christian energy! THE
DESIRE TO FULFILL ONE’S PURPOSE IN LIFE!]
(2) knowledge [intelligence; practical knowledge, knowledge that is growing/maturing]
(3) self-control [see Prov. 16:32; 25:28 The desire to discipline oneself during exercise in order to finish the race at hand; ability to handle the PLEASURES of life]
(4) perseverance [patience; steadfastness; ability to handle the PRESSURES of life]
(5) godliness [service to God; devotion; piety; God-likeness; one who worships well while he’s living life]
(6) brotherly kindness [affection for fellow believers]
(7) love [godly affection]
* v. 10 THEREFORE BRETHREN (a note to family] do all this to urge you on to confirm that you belong to Jesus!
* v. 11 Welcome to daily JOY [NOT die & go to Heaven]
AND THIS BEGINS WITH EXERCISE!!!
Illus.: Our Treadmill became a place to hang clothes, so we sold it. Is your Christianity simply something to hang clothes on, or are you exercising/developing your faith?
# 2 MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO REMEMBER ! (2 Pet. 1:12-15)
* Remember that life is brief (v. 12)
* Stir it up ! (v. 13) – like a good chef, and I get to lick the spoon!
* Remember -after Peter passes away – how? through his book !!!
ARE YOU REMEMBERING BY REMEMBERING WHAT HE WROTE?
# 3 MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO BE ERRORLESS ! (2 Pet. 3:13-14, 17-18)
* v. 17 THEREFORE “since you already know this” (you’ve been forewarned) – what and when? Look at v. 14 – looking forward to what? v. 13 We look forward to going to a place where there is no injustice, no unrighteousness, where God is ALL THE TIME!
* SO, v. 17 don’t fall from your secure position – your steadfastness
v. 18 But grow!!! Grow in exercising your faith! Grow in giving God the glory – the center of your lives
This last “therefore” wraps it all up!
It is not enough to come to church.
It is not enough to know Christians.
It is not enough to know the Bible.
But Peter says we must GROW in grace and in the knowledge of…our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
As Peter neared the end of his life, his one aim was this.
If we have learned anything in this brief overview of 1 and 2 Peter it is this: be STEADFAST to become more in love with, more focused daily on, our Lord and Savior!
Exercise! Develop your faith! Remember the Word! And GROW!
ARE you? WILL you? WILL we?
CLOSE IN PRAYER