The living God is HOLY (Isaiah 6:3; 57:15; 1 Peter 1:15; Revelation 4:8) and thus He is absolutely set apart and separated from all that is sinful (Isaiah 59:2; Psalm 24:3-4; Isaiah 6:3-5). The Bible teaches me that God in His absolute holiness and unfailing mercy has provided a way for me to be saved and to come to a full knowledge of the truth (John 14:6; 1 Timothy 2:3-6).
I am a lost sinner (Psalm 14:1-3; Romans 3:10-18,23; Isaiah 53:6; Psalm 51:5; 1 Kings 8:46) and my heart is wicked and evil (Jeremiah 17:9-10; Mark 7:20-23; Matthew 7:11). Thus I stand guilty before the righteous Judge of all the earth (Romans 3:19) and I am under the wrath and condemnation of a holy God (Romans 1:18; 2:1-9; John 3:18,36).
Because of my sinful and wicked condition I deserve the death penalty (Ezekiel 18:4; Genesis 2:17; Romans 1:32; 6:23) which involves eternal separation from God and eternal punishment by God, even the lake of fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels (2 Thessalonians 1:8-9; Matthew 25:41,46; Mark 9:42-48; Revelation 20:11-15; 21:8).
Because of His marvelous love and mercy God sent His beloved Son into the world (John 3:17; Matthew 1:21-23; Luke 19:10; 1 Timothy 1:15). The Lord Jesus Christ, who is the everlasting God (John 1:1; Isaiah 7:14; 9:6; Micah 5:2; Titus 2:13) and the Creator of all things (John 1:3; Colossians 1:13-16), died on the cross in MY place and as MY Substitute and He thus paid the death penalty for me (Isaiah chapter 53; Romans 5:6-8; 1 Corinthians 15:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Galatians 1:4; 1 Peter 2:24; 3:18; 1 John 2:2; 3:16; 4:10). He also rose again from the dead as proof that God the Father was pleased and satisfied that the death penalty was paid in full by God the Son (1 Corinthians 15:4-20; Romans 4:25) and to demonstrate that He (Jesus Christ) was and is all that He claimed to be (Romans 1:4).
In view of who Christ is and what He has done for me on the cross, it is my responsibility to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:30-31; John 3:16,18,36). This means I must come to Christ (John 6:35-37) and receive Him as my personal Saviour and Lord (John 1:12; Romans 6:23), realizing and believing the following facts:
- The Lord Jesus is the only Saviour (Acts 4:12; John 10:9; 14:6). There is no salvation apart from Him.
- The Lord Jesus died and rose again for my salvation (1 Thessalonians 4:14; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; Romans 10:9).
- The Lord Jesus is able to save me (Hebrews 7:25; Isaiah 59:1; Matthew 19:24-26).
- The Lord Jesus is willing to save me (John 6:37; compare 1 Timothy 2:4).
- The Lord Jesus will save me if I trust Him and Him alone as my Saviour (John 3:16).
I also must realize that I am not saved….
…by good works (Isaiah 64:6; Ephesians 2:9; Titus 3:5);
…by trying to keep the law (Romans 3:20; Galatians 2:16; James 2:10);
…by water baptism (Ephesians 2:8-9; Acts 16:31).
I am only saved by the grace and mercy of God through faith (Ephesians 2:4-9 and Titus 3:4-7). Faith is resting all my weight upon Jesus Christ (who He is, what He has done and what He has said). Nothing in my hands I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling!
Because God cannot lie (Titus 1:2; Hebrews 6:18) and because Jesus Christ is ever faithful (Hebrews 13:8), I do confidently and joyfully claim and rest upon the following salvation promises: Matthew 11:28; John 1:12; 3:16; 3:18; 3:36; 5:24; 6:35; 6:37; 6:47; 10:9; 11:25; Acts 10:43; 16:31; Romans 10:9; 10:13; 1 John 5:11-12.
Now that I am a believer in Christ it is my responsibility to grow and to keep on growing in the grace and knowledge of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18). To be a healthy, growing believer I must:
- Be baptized in obedience to Christ’s command (Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 10:48; 2:38) and as a public testimony of my new life in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:14-17; Romans 6:3-11; Galatians 2:20).
- Feed upon God’s Word by reading my Bible daily (1 Peter 2:2; Matthew 4:4; Psalm 119:97).
- Come before God and come unto God in prayer daily (Hebrews 4:16; 1 Thessalonians 5:17; Luke 18:1).
- Faithfully attend a Bible-believing and Bible-teaching church (Acts 2:42; Hebrews 10:25).
- Confess my sins (the thinking, the acting and the being that is out of harmony with God’s Holy Person; my character and conduct that is not like His) to God daily and agree with Him that what I have done is sinful in His sight (1 John 1:8-2:2 and see especially 1 John 1:9; Psalm 51:3-6; Psalm 32:3-6; Proverbs 28:13).
- Confess Christ before others (Psalm 107:2; Matthew 10:32; Romans 10:9-10). Be glad to own Him as your Saviour!
- Be a faithful witness, pointing clearly to Christ by life and by lip (Acts 1:8; Isaiah 43:10-12). I need to draw attention to Christ by the way I live and by the things that I say (Philippians 2:15-16; Colossians 3:17; 1 Peter 3:15; Colossians 4:5-6).
Thank you to Rev. George Zeller of the Middletown (Conn.) Bible Church for his permission to use this format. Whether you’re a new Christian or an “old salt” in the faith, see “www.middletownbiblechurch.org” for much valuable help in your walk with the Lord!